First and Largest Comprehensive Bridal Registry Study Released by The Knot Market Intelligence
Study Provides Unparalleled Insight Into Today’s Wedding Registry
2008 Registry Study Is Next Installment in The Knot Market Intelligence Bridal Series From Leading Lifestage Media Company
NEW YORK (November 12, 2008) — The Knot Inc. (NASDAQ: KNOT),www.theknotinc.com, the owners of The Knot Wedding Network, which includes the Internet’s largest wedding websites and communities TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, announced the release of its first annual Registry Study today. A first-of-its-kind, comprehensive look inside the registry process, The Knot Market Intelligence 2008 Registry Study provides actionable and detailed analysis around registry behaviors, motivations, and attitudes.
Conducted in 2008, the Registry Study captures perspectives from more than 12,000 brides-to-be and newlyweds; this robust sample allows for both category and granular analyses, including dissection at the retailer and brand level. The research was specifically designed to generate insights about not only “pocketbook and process” but also participants’ “hearts and minds.”
This research is part of The Knot Market Intelligence Bridal Series, a quarterly suite of studies offering unparalleled insight into an array of bridal categories. The series launched in early 2008 with its first study, Honeymoon Travel. Upcoming studies include Beauty, Fashion, Health & Fitness, Jewelry, and Destination Weddings. Topline data highlights from The Knot Market Intelligence 2008 Registry Study are viewable at the company’s corporate website,www.theknotinc.com, and complete custom analyses and reports are available for purchase.
“Given The Knot Wedding Network’s robust membership base, which represents more than 70 percent of brides online, there’s no other company that has the ability to offer such comprehensive, in-depth bridal data,” said Miriam Alexander, Vice President, Head of Insights & Analytics at The Knot Inc. “The Knot Inc. Landmark Studies are a huge asset to companies looking to understand the decisions that engaged couples make during the wedding planning process and we’re thrilled to be able to offer them this opportunity.”
Selected Highlights From The Knot Market Intelligence 2008 Registry Study
Registry Planning & Store Selection
· Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and Macy’s lead the pack in bridal registries.
· Couples set up their registry 6 months before their wedding date, on average.
· 2 out of 3 grooms are involved in the registry process.
· 6 out of 10 couples say there was at least one other person who helped them with their registry choices; Mom was the most influential.
· 40 percent of couples say their guest list impacted where they chose to register.
What’s in the Registry
· To-be-weds register for 142 items, with price points ranging from $11 to $442.
· Kitchen and bed & bath items are the most popular registry categories.
· Nearly 40 percent of registry items are products a couple really wants but doesn’t necessarily need.
Guests & Gifting
· Half of engaged couples claim there were items they wanted to add to their registry but didn’t because of price.
· 69 percent of a couple’s wedding gifts come from their registry.
· According to newlyweds, 11 percent of guests, on average, do not give a gift.
About the Study:
The study was designed to understand the many facets surrounding the $13+ billion wedding registry market, as well as the emotional underpinnings around registry choices and behaviors.
The study registered 12,398 qualified respondents. To qualify, a respondent had to be at least 18 years old and either:
· Engaged to be married and had begun the registry planning process
· Married and had set up a wedding gift registry
Geographic distribution of respondents parallels The Knot Wedding Network membership and closely resembles that of the U.S. population.
The survey was conducted on behalf of The Knot Market Intelligence by Digital Research Inc.
About The Knot Inc.
The Knot Inc. (NASDAQ: KNOT; www.theknot.com) is a leading lifestage media company targeting couples planning their weddings and future lives together. Our flagship brand, The Knot, is the nation’s leading wedding resource, reaching over a million engaged couples each year through the #1 wedding website TheKnot.com. Extensions of The Knot brand include The Knot national and local magazines, The Knot books (published by Random House and Chronicle), and television programming bearing The Knot name (aired on Style Network and Comcast). The Company’s subsidiary, WeddingChannel.com, is the most visited wedding gift registry website. The Nest brand focuses on the newlywed lifestage with the popular lifestyle website TheNest.com, a home décor book series with Clarkson Potter, and The Nest magazine. The Bump brand focuses on the pregnancy and first-time parenthood lifestage with TheBump.com website and The Bump local guides. Also under The Knot Inc. umbrella are WeddingTracker.com, GiftRegistryLocator.com, party-planning site PartySpot.com, teen-oriented PromSpot.com, and local baby services and community site Lilaguide.com.