The team behind the numbers, Finance and Accounting ensures our business decisions positively impact our users and our bottom line.
WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal, to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ACCOUNTING MANAGER ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
XO Group’s Finance team is seeking an Accounting Manager to oversee all facets of company-wide revenue recognition procedures in our monthly close process. This job is for you if you love numbers as much as you love being in a creative atmosphere.
You must be flexible, highly-organized, detail-oriented, and capable of handling sensitive data with care. You shine in a fast-paced environment, have a natural skepticism that fuels your analytical side, all with a positive attitude. You see the opportunity in change and tackle it with enthusiasm. Most importantly, you love to work closely with others, collaborate and sharing responsibilities to ensure that everything is accounted for.
- Responsible for overseeing revenue recognition in accordance with applicable revenue recognition standards for all revenue streams of the Company, including reviewing and interpreting new contracts, review of campaign under delivery and proper revenue recognition guidelines
- Calculate quarterly bonuses and accruals for sales teams
- Perform quarterly review of bad debt expense/allowance for doubtful accounts for aging receivables and present conclusions to the CFO
- Coordinate proper expense recognition for direct cost of sale
- Assist with system implementation efforts related to areas of responsibility
- Review reconciliations on a monthly basis for all areas of responsibility
- Perform financial analysis to support actual results vs. budget, forecast, and prior year variance analysis
- Responsible for working with auditors on quarterly reviews, SOX controls testing, and substantive audit procedures surrounding areas of focus
- Contribute to Finance team’s continuous process improvement and pursuit of excellence in systems and processes
- Manage direct/indirect reports to ensure departmental efficiencies, including training, development, coaching, counseling and performance reviews. Works with direct reports to set clear goals, objectives and set priorities.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 5 years of accounting experience
- Great Plains knowledge/experience a plus
- Proficient in MS office with extensive experience with MS Excel
- Ability to research accounting guidance in line with US GAAP, as applicable to tasks on hand
- Results-oriented, with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and expeditiously
- Strong sense of urgency and commitment
- A confident individual as well as a team player, capable of building effective internal and external relationships
- BA in accounting, CPA preferred
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From unlimited vacation and generous parental leave benefits, to free snacks and Thirsty Thursdays, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.