The Knot Unveils Top 10 Wedding Trends for 2012
Number-One Wedding Website Predicts Snow White-Inspired Wedding Dresses, The Hunger Games-Style Bachelor Parties and Mega Honeymoons for 2012 Weddings
NEW YORK (January 12, 2012) – From bewitching, fairy-tale-like wedding dresses channeling Snow White and The Huntsman to bachelorette parties with The Hunger Games action,TheKnot.com (NYSE: XOXO), the #1 online wedding planning resource, today released its annual forecast for the hottest wedding trends for 2012.
“Weddings have been sexy and bold, but now the world is ready to embrace the traditional…with a modern twist, of course,” says Carley Roney, cofounder and editor in chief of TheKnot.com. “From the long-lasting ‘Kate Middleton Effect’ on wedding fashion to romantic watercolor details and a 1900s-inspired panoramic wedding portrait, expect more classic and formal wedding details for 2012. Just remember – brides will still take certain elements to a whole new level, like once-in-a-lifetime mega-moons or even The Hunger Games-style bachelorette parties.”
Here’s a look at the top 10 wedding trends for 2012:
1. “Snow White” Wedding Dresses: Buzzed-about movies Snow White and The Huntsman and Mirror, Mirror will inspire 2012 brides to wear wedding gowns that are light and airy, but with a mysterious and sexy vibe. Vera Wang’s stunning witchcraft-inspired 2012 wedding dresses will be the bride’s first stop.
2. Enchanting Flowers: The magical settings of these Snow White-inspired movies and even much-anticipated fantasy film The Hobbit will have an effect on wedding décor, with brides opting for a woodsy vibe. Think: soft, decadent bouquets filled with flowers like cabbage roses, peonies and dinner plate dahlias.
3. Watercolor Designs: On dresses, invitations and table designs, watercolor touches give weddings the perfect creative bent for 2012. A-list designer Carolina Herrera showed stunning watercolor prints in her spring 2012 bridal collection. And the color palette to do this in? Pastels like pink and lilac are the “it” colors of 2012!
4. The Hunger Games-Style Bachelor Parties: Forget strippers and booze, the bachelor andbachelorette party of 2012 is giving way to The Hunger Games-style action. While ladies are channeling their inner Jane Bond via programs like Stiletto Spy School where they get to learn defensive tactics, high-speed stunt driving and MacGyver-like survival skills (all while rocking a dress, of course), guys are finally fulfilling their lifelong fantasies of race car driving, learning how to play poker like a pro and even, believe it or not, herding cows and sheep.
5. The Bombshell Bride: Marilyn Monroe wooed a president, was featured on the cover of the first issue of Playboy, is the subject of Oscar-buzzed movie My Week with Marilyn, and is going to make an especially big impression on brides this year. The beauty icon’s ability to accentuate her best features, signature pouty lips and slinky dresses (we especially love a number from Reem Acra with a sexy slit up the side!) are the perfect inspiration for bombshell brides.
6. The Panoramic Wedding Portrait: Just like critically acclaimed movie The Artist was shot on film without sound, the trend in wedding photography is to steer away from all the overdone effects (like odd angles and lots of added filters). Instead, photographers are shooting turn-of-the-century-inspired wedding portraits with a formal, classic approach. One shot that’s totally mantel-worthy? A panoramic wedding portrait where every single wedding guest is in the photo.
7. Ritzy Ranch Weddings: The setting? A 200-year-old barn complete with long exposed-wood tables, large chandeliers and ambient lighting. The flowers? Lace-wrapped bouquets of wild roses, lilies of the valley, Queen Anne’s lace and gardenias. The food? Delicate wild game like juniper-spiced venison, cider-braised pheasant and pan-roasted quail, Top Chef: Texas-style. Brides will be channeling the Old West with a rustic-elegant spin à la Lauren Bush and David Lauren’s recent nuptials.
8. When Harry Met Sally-Inspired Video Trailers: When it comes to wedding videos, it’s not something brides are watching after the wedding anymore. Couples are filming their love stories à la When Harry Met Sally and then showing snippets of it in video e-save-the-dates and having it screened at the wedding…all while guests are being filmed watching it, of course.
9. Long Sleeves & Lace: Brides can thank Kate Middleton and the latest Twilight installment for this wedding fashion trend – long sleeves and lace! Strapless dresses will still rule the bridal aisle, but expect more coverage for 2012 with a sexy twist. Think: sheer backs and illusion sleeves. And don’t be surprised if the look of lace pops up on everything from the wedding cake to the décor.
10. Mega-Moons: Sri Lanka? Check. Patagonia? Check. All in one trip? Check. That’s right, for 2012, brides won’t be settling on just one dream destination, but instead, they’ll be opting for a round-the-world getaway to several far-flung locales. Plus, they’ll be virtually bringing their friends with them via social travel apps that crowd-source friend-approved recommendations from resources like Tripl and Gogobot.
The Knot is the nation’s leading wedding resource, reaching over a million engaged couples each year through the #1 wedding website, TheKnot.com; The Knot national and local wedding magazines; and The Knot books (published by Random House and Chronicle). The Knot is the flagship brand of XO Group Inc. (NYSE: XOXO; http://www.xogroupinc.com), formerly The Knot Inc., a global media and technology leader devoted to weddings, pregnancy and everything in between, providing young women with the trusted information, products and advice they need to guide them through the most transformative events of their lives.
# # #