WHY WE LOVE WORKING AT XO GROUP INC:
Every year, millions of brides, newlyweds, and first-time parents visit The Knot, The Nest, and The Bump for guidance during some of the most important moments in their lives. Here at XO Group, we strive to give our customers a best-in-class user experience in order to make these moments even more special. We are passionate about building a user-centric, content-rich, mobile-first organization with a refreshing, fun and entrepreneurial work culture. Connect yourself to work that matters!
ABOUT THE GENERAL COUNSEL ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
XO Group is looking for a dynamic General Counsel to join our team in New York. In this role, you will be the head of the corporate legal department and will be responsible for the legal affairs of the entire corporation. The General Counsel operates equally between day to day transactional work with internal clients, company customers and partners, as well as interacting with senior management on a broad spectrum of functions, including finance, sales, product management, engineering, Human Resources, and Board matters.
The General Counsel will have impeccable judgment and be a key thought leader, compliance officer, and business adviser to XO Group’s relevant decision-makers. You will utilize your own knowledge and effective support from our outside legal service providers to get the best solutions for our company. You will also lead the day-to-day operations of the internal audit function. You will report directly to our CEO.
- Provide timely considered and strategic legal advice to management and the executive team
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Manage our outside counsel to ensure we are getting the best advice in our decision making
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Identify and implement enterprising solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Directly involve yourself in complex business transactions & negotiate critical contracts.
- Ensure XO Group is meeting all legal requirements & objectives (SEC filings, Business registrations etc., contracting)
- Build trust and respect with partners across our business
- Work with external parties, including regulators, external counsel, politicians, and clients
- Attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance from internal legal team and external legal resources
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and their potential impact on our business
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Validated general counseling experience in business environment
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, employment law, etc.)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to understand how our business operates with financial acumen
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Excellent judgment and ability to know your limitations and seek outside advice where it is needed
- Clear, succinct communication skills and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work closely with an executive team
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Experience in or understanding of digital/technology space is a plus
- Extensive SEC experience is required
- J.D. degree & at least 10 years working experience with demonstrated leadership experience
- MA or BS in Business Administration will be considered an asset
- Admitted to practice law in NY required
BENEFITS & PERKS:
Things you'll like a lot! Health benefits, 401k, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, free drinks and snacks, guest speakers, learning events, and a mentor program.
Things you'll love! Amazing coworkers, unlimited vacation, weekly happy hours, transparent and approachable executives